SBIR Land Home Forums Grant Accounting & Management Samples/datasets from foreign institutions on SBIR budget

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #8857

    Is it possible to request funding to pay for samples/datasets from a foreign institution with an SBIR grant? For example, could we put money for FFPE tissues from a foreign university that we will use for protein analysis?


    It is expected that all work for your proposal will be performed within the US. However, you can technically request funding to pay for samples/datasets that originate from foreign institutions through an SBIR/STTR grant. Note that all foreign components are subject to review with a high degree of scrutiny by both CSR reviewers and programmatic staff. In your case, the use of these specific samples as opposed to samples that may be available form within the US would need to be justified during the application process. See the Frequently Asked Questions page on the NIH SEED office, Section VI (

    “All work on SBIR or STTR projects must be conducted in the United States, per statute. In rare or unique circumstances, NIH may allow a small portion of the research work to be performed outside of the United States when it is not possible to perform domestically. Some examples might include supplies, materials, or patient populations that are not available in the United States.”

    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Brandon@EGC.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.