NEW HOME PAGE Forums Grant Accounting & Management Part-Time Employees – 1099 or W2-hourly ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shoba
    Participant

Can Part-Time Employees on a Phase 1 SBIR grant be compensated using 1099, or does it have to be W2-hourly? I am not asking about consultants but specifically about part-time employees.
    Thanks

Sam@EGC
    Participant

Hi Shoba,

Usually the employees are written in the budget as employees, and that would preclude them from being contractors. You can hire part time help using the award as long as contracted services are written into the budget as well.

For an SBIR Phase I, at least 2/3 (66.67) of the research will need to be performed by the small business concern.

Shoba
    Participant

Hi
    When an employee is part-time, why can’t they be W2 (preferable W2-hourly rather than standard W2)? Are you suggesting part-time employee can only be 1099?

Thanks
    Shoba

Sam@EGC
    Participant

Hi Shoba,

My apologies if my last message created any confusion. Any employees written into the grant may be part-time W2 or full time W2 without issue. Usually the word employee would imply W2, and 1099 would imply contractors. Alas, a part-time employee can be 1099, but most federal agencies would prefer to see W2 for employees.

Thanks!

Sam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.