Registration is free!
The DUNS number is required for SAM and grants.gov registrations, and for all Federal proposal submissions. The DUNS is unique for each physical location of a business, so one business with multiple locations can have several DUNS numbers. In practice, only 1 DUNS number is needed for a grant application.
The DUNS number is easily obtained within 1-2 business days for free.
If you are within the US: register online. You can also call DUNS at 1-8666-705-5711.
If you are outside the US: register online.
You will need all of the information listed below to obtain a DUNS number:
- Name of organization
- Organization address
- Name of the chief executive officer (CEO) or organization owner
- Legal structure of the organization (e.g., corporation, partnership, proprietorship)
- Year the organization started
- Primary type of business
- Total number of employees (full and part-time)
- Tax Identification Number (TIN)/Employer Identification Number (EIN) [* note: non-US applicants do not need the TIN/EIN at the time they register for DUNS. However, these companies will have to get the TIN/EIN before they can do business with the government and receive grants/contracts.]
Note: The government will be transitioning away from DUNS by late 2020. For now, you still need the DUNS.