January 16, 2020
Registration is free!
The DUNS number is required for SAM and grants.gov registrations, and for all Federal proposal submissions. The DUNS is unique for each physical location of a business, so one business with multiple locations can have several DUNS numbers. In practice, only 1 DUNS number is needed for a grant application.
The DUNS number is easily obtained within 1-2 business days for free.
If you are within the US: register online. You can also call DUNS at 1-8666-705-5711.
If you are outside the US: register online.
You will need all of the information listed below to obtain a DUNS number:
- Name of organization
- Organization address
- Name of the chief executive officer (CEO) or organization owner
- Legal structure of the organization (e.g., corporation, partnership, proprietorship)
- Year the organization started
- Primary type of business
- Total number of employees (full and part-time)
- Tax Identification Number (TIN)/Employer Identification Number (EIN) [* note: non-US applicants do not need the TIN/EIN at the time they register for DUNS. However, these companies will have to get the TIN/EIN before they can do business with the government and receive grants/contracts.]
Note: The government will be transitioning away from DUNS by late 2020. For now, you still need the DUNS.